Pages

Saturday, May 4, 2013

Spring Has Sprung!

Mostly it's sprung winter like weather on us here in central Texas.

Through a lucky chance, the science teacher had some painted lady & wax moth larvae that needed homes. Since my kids 2 yrs ago loved our moths I offered our classroom as a home.

Well the moth food began to mold & were hoping they survived before it got bad.

The painted ladies are going gangbusters. They turned into pupae not long after we got 'em. Just today, thankfully I went & got a plant for them to nectar on if they get hungry. Good thing cuz we have a butterfly now! Can't wait to see the kids' reaction on Monday morning :)





2 comments:

  1. Hi Darnee! I've raised Painted Ladies before but never a wax moth!
    I just found your blog, I’m your newest follower!
    ✿Sue✿
    Science for Kids Blog

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for following Susan! And thankfully our moths were able to survive under the moldy food, they'd turned before the mold reached them. I was worried there for a bit. We had one change & I thought that's all we'd get, the next Monday we had easily 20 moths flying around. They were trying to catch them as we released them in our school's "Secret Garden" area.

    ReplyDelete