Pages

Tuesday, July 16, 2013

NOLA Wedding, Language Camp & Monday Made It

My brother's wedding has come & gone. It was hot, humid, sticky, nasty, can't breathe kind of hot. Thankfully during the day, errands were limited. My mom & sister did a fabulous job of coordinating and feeding everyone for the rehearsal dinner Thursday night. Hung out with my brother, his daughter, girlfriend, nieces and other family friends afterward down in the French Quarter, it's been awhile is all I'm going to say about that night.

Friday, a girlfriend of mine flew in from El Paso to be my +1 since I'm single :-/ As a thank you we went shopping around the Quarter. The wedding, at the Maison Dupuy Hotel, was lovely, but like I said, "ugh" kind of hot. I danced with my brother for the money dance & that was it. I did get to hang out with some cousins I hadn't seen in awhile and some I had never even met which is always a perk during weddings. The festivities ended with another shopping trip to kill time until we had to get Jenn, my friend to the airport on Saturday afternoon.

Saturday evening it was road trip to Marksville, LA with mom & my niece. We partook of some duh-licious, yes that's how my brother says it & it is just perfect to convey the duh-liciousness of the seafood dinner we had. You can't get seafood like that in Central Texas. Sunday I did homework. Today my sister Brenda, her assistant Sam & I began the Tunica-Biloxi Language Camp 2013.

Last year my sister organized a camp to teach our tribal youth our Tribe's language. Most native tribes are mostly in interested in preserving their language, not actually using it necessarily. In conjunction with Tulane University, she was able to get a children's storybook of 2 of our Tribe's legends printed. From that idea they came up with a camp to revitalize the language by teaching the children. A tribal spouse and her children have been diligent in learning and spreading the language, but a realized vision of classes on a regular basis kind of always fizzled out over time. A one week camp once a year for the kids, well, that's a lot easier isn't it?




In it's second year my sister asked me to help out with lesson supplement ideas. I was able to create spelling lists on Spelling City. The kids really enjoyed playing the games with the words they learned today. One kid had his iPad and downloaded the free app & was able to play games there as well. I've already told my sister we need grant money to get some iPads for the kids to use during camp. I'm linking up with Tara over at 4th Grade Frolics for Monday Made It, hope you enjoy our verb power point :)


 









No comments:

Post a Comment