Pages

Sunday, July 28, 2013

Pillows, Pillows, Pillows

It's time for new school year creations! I see a lot of sewing happening in the blog world.  I wanted to jump to it as well!

I'm linking up with Tara over at 4th Grade Frolics for this week's Monday Made It!

On a sad note, my sewing machine has been out of commission since last December.  Depressing!  I still wanted to make pillows for my classroom reading corner.  My colors are teal, black, and blue.  So naturally, I wanted pillows that were teal, black, and blue.  With the help of cheap items from Wal-Mart and Hobby lobby, I have them! 

Here are the items you will need!

1. Fabric: 1 yard (You can trim it and cut it to the size you want)
2. Stitch Witchery:  (Iron on.  You can get it from any craft store)
3. Iron
4. Scissors
5. Polyester Fiberfill fluff



Step Number One:
 
Here is a lovely picture of my supplies.  I used the "trash" towel to protect my table!  It's one I use when I paint or when I do anything that might damage my table. 

Heat the iron to the recommended temperature on the stitch witchery package.



 Step Number Two:

I didn't want to make the largest pillow alive, so I cut 6 inches off the bottom of the 1 yard of material.  Here it is folded and ready to go. 



Step Number Three:

Unfold the material, it will work as a seam you don't have to use the witchery on. 

Cut the witchery into strips and place them on the fabric about half an inch from the edge. 

Leave about 5 inches without the stitchery on one side. 


Step Number Four:
Fold the material again carefully so the witchery doesn't move.  Get your iron and iron each spot for 10 seconds.  Make sure you don't slide the iron, lift it and press in each area.  The stitch witchery says you should put a towel between the iron and the material, but I found it doesn't iron if I do that.  It also takes a longer time.  So I REFUSED, and did it my way. 

Step Number Five:

Carefully use the opening you left from not putting the witchery there.  Start turning it pillow inside out.  I say carefully, because you could pull everything apart. 


Step Number Six:

With the Polyester Fiberfill, start filling the pillow until it's nice and plump.  This is what takes a long time.  Stuffing it and making sure it's even all around.  I took a wooden spoon and shoved the fiberfill where I wanted it to go.  That worked a lot better than the stick that came with the stuff. 



Step Number Seven:

Now that the pillow is nice and full, stick a piece of stitch witchery in the unstitched section and iron it shut. 


Step Number Eight:

There you have it!  Pillow is done!  It's all ready for the reading corner!



Here is a picture of all three that I made.  I'm going to make some more because I have another aspect to my theme that I would love to incorporate in pillow form.



Happy pillow making!   If you try it out, post a picture in the comments of how it worked out for you!  If you have any questions you'd like me to clarify, let me know too! 

~Amanda

3 comments:

  1. LOVE this! Thank you for sharing! I am also a new blogger! Follow me at http://spunkyinsecond.blogspot.com/

    Thanks! Farrar Polman


    ReplyDelete
  2. My classroom colors are teal, black, and purple. Luckily, I was able to find pillows in those colors at IKEA for $4. I will keep this idea in mind if I want any patterned pillows since sewing is not one of my strong points.
    The Traveling Teacher

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your pillows are so cute. They'll be perfect in your classroom reading nook!

    Wendy
    Read With Me ABC

    ReplyDelete