Pages

Saturday, September 21, 2013

Grad School, 4 Weeks In of School & We Tried Saving Fred!


So I totally have been MIA these last few weeks. My graduate school assignment due date schedule didn't expand even though the class time line did, ugh. Instead of weekly assignments and 2 projects due in 7 weeks, they were all completed and done in 5 weeks. Now I like the idea of having like 3 weeks off, but dang-it I was supposed to have 7 weeks to devote to churning out good work!

I had intended to post this about 2 weeks ago (see previous paragraph :-/) But the first week of school one of my sweeties mentioned something about not wanting to work with a classmate at his table. I thought this was a perfect time to remind them how much we're going to need each other these next 9 months, and how much time we're going to spend together (more than they will with their families). I pulled out the Save Fred activity a day early so we could talk about teamwork.

Here's a few shots of my sweeties trying their darndest to Save Fred there. I had them start in pairs first and they were struggling. One pair said they did it without using their fingers, but were promptly called out :-O



Once they realized that they couldn't really truly do it with only 2 people, I mentioned that maybe they could help the other pair at their tables and save one Fred at a time. Oh yeah! One group was able to Save Fred when using all their table mates help.



We then journaled in our Science Notebooks about how important it is not to give up, like Edison, to keep trying, work hard and work together as a team.

So I'll definitely use Fred again next year :)

~Darnee~

1 comment:

  1. Oh, my goodness - I know this has nothing to do with your post, but those stickers over their faces are adorable! This year, I asked my parents ahead of time if I could post pictures of their child on the blog. I received permission from ALL of them. You might try a mass email, and link to your blog - maybe that would be more convenient?

    Thanks for your comment on my "Genius" post - Starting the super homework idea is a great way to get leads as to their interests! Have fun with it, and be sure to blog about it! ;-)

    ReplyDelete